Hardwood floors provide timeless elegance and beauty to your home. However, they also require proper maintenance and care. If not properly cared for, your hardwood floors can age quickly. Here are some tips we’ve compiled to help you make the most of your investment by preserving the quality of your hardwood floors.
Hardwood Flooring Maintenance
- A simple but significant rule is to keep your floors clean and free of dust. Dirt and dust particles scratch the polish of your floors as a result of regular foot traffic. Prevent this by using a fine bristle broom on your floors at least every other day. Avoid using a vacuum cleaner if possible; the wheels can scratch the wood. If you do vacuum, do so once a week make sure you use a soft vacuum brush.
- Place synthetic mats at entry ways and areas of heavy traffic. This will help reduce the amount of dirt on your floors as well as wear from frequent contact. Choose mats that match the interior of your home, just be sure they don’t have an adhesive or abrasive coated bottom.
- Never clean hardwood floors with water. Instead, use a wood floor cleaning product which can be found at most supermarkets. Spray the product then wipe it with a soft cotton cloth. Make sure you select the product best suited for the finish on your floor.
- Stains are inevitable, but can be removed fairly easily. Use rubbing alcohol and steel wool to remove the stain as quickly as possible. This will leave a mark on the wood, so you’ll need to polish the spot to make it look new again.
- If your floors have a polyurethane finish, prevent damage by keeping it properly maintained. Polyurethane needs to be reapplied every 3-5 years, depending on the amount of traffic and wear.
- It is an option to cover heavy traffic areas with carpet. This is a matter of personal preference.
We know you’ll be satisfied as your apply these helpful tips. Feel free to contact the professionals at Fabulous Floors Raleigh for all your hardwood flooring needs!